Applied Academics is a lean and growing team of researchers, technologists, and business teams in New York, Tokyo, and London. We are leaders in predicting the performance of investment managers to help socially important institutional investors protect the financial future of their beneficiaries. We are currently hiring engineers for our New York office to support our expanding client base, which includes major institutional investors, investment managers, derivatives exchanges, and index companies around the world. Applied Academics is wholly-owned by members of the firm.
We are looking for a talented developer who is a technology enthusiast to help design and build the next generation of Goose, our performance prediction platform. Goose is built with the latest technology and empowers our clients to adopt the paradigm shift that our scientific breakthroughs are causing in the way investors allocate billions of dollars to managers. The symbiotic relationship between our engineers and researchers makes the scale and complexity of Goose possible and is central to the growth of our business. You will work closely with our exceptionally creative research team to solve challenging computational problems to build and maintain a robust, reliable, and scalable infrastructure.
• At least 5 years of experience building large-scale software
• Experience writing performance-critical code with complex data dependencies and flows
• Experience in optimizing cost / benefit of heavy CPU and memory bound computations
• Experience with REST APIs in a service-oriented architecture
• Experience in Linux shell and deploying infrastructure as code in a cloud environment
• Experience in risk mitigation and software security analysis
• An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit that inspires others
• Intellectual curiosity and eagerness to learn and adapt to new technologies
• A logical and thoughtful communication style and ability to interact with non-engineers
Nice to Haves
• Experience programming in C++, Python, Go, SQL, and shell scripting
• Experience with AWS EC2, RDS, S3, IAM, KMIS, andInspector
• Familiarity with Ansible, Terraform, JIRA, Bitbucket, Pipelines, and Confluence
• Experience with financial markets data
• Working knowledge of mathematics, statistics, probability theory, and finance
This position is for a full-time role and is based in midtown Manhattan near Bryant Park. Starting salary will be in a competitive range based on candidate fit and experience, and equity participation may be considered. Above all, we value enthusiasm for the subject matter and a love of learning. If you like the idea of working in an open, multi-cultural, and multitalented environment on projects that impact some of the world's most important financial institutions, we'd love to hear from you.