Applied Academics is a lean and growing team of researchers, technologists, and business teams in New York, Tokyo, and London. We are leaders in predicting the performance of investment managers to help socially important institutional investors protect the financial future of their beneficiaries. We are currently hiring engineers for our New York office to support our rapidly expanding client base, which includes major institutional investors, investment managers, derivatives exchanges, and index companies around the world. Applied Academics is wholly-owned by members of the firm.
We are looking to add a talented researcher who can contribute to a wide range of empirical analyses of financial markets, rule-based strategy and index designs, and the development of technology around the firm's intellectual property. This is not a software development position; rather, it is a research position with a strong programming component. Given the very nature of the firm's focus on turning new ideas into products, there is seldom a dull routine moment, and the researcher will be called upon to produce creative and original ideas and execute them with rigor.
· Intellectual curiosity, propensity for original thought, and obsessive attention to detail
· Experience applying advanced mathematical and statistical techniques to solving complex empirical problems
· Experience programming in R, C++, or Python
· Strong working knowledge of statistics (e.g. simulations, experiment design, hypothesis testing, and time series) and probability (e.g. stochastic processes and Markov chains)
· A logical and thoughtful communication style
· Experience working in financial markets
This position is for a full-time role and is based in midtown Manhattan near Bryant Park. Starting salary will be in a competitive range based on candidate fit and experience, and equity participation may be considered. Above all, we value enthusiasm for the subject matter and a love of learning. So if you like the idea of working in an open, multi-cultural, and multi-talented environment on projects that impact some of the world's most important financial institutions, we'd love to hear from you.