Applied Academics is a small but growing company that creates a wide range of financial innovations through collaborations with top academics around the world, and partners with major financial institutions in commercializing them. Academic research and the researchers themselves remain severely underutilized by the finance industry, and the unconventional know-how required for pushing ideas from academia to the industry that we have accumulated over the years uniquely positions us to harness this untapped pool of intellectual capital.
We are looking for a talented programmer to oversee all technological aspects of our numerous quantitative research and implementation projects. The role will initially focus on designing, implementing, and continually improving the firm’s technology infrastructure and development workflow. Once the structure is in place, the role will evolve to working closely with our quantitative researchers on executing specific projects. Given the very nature of the firm's focus on turning new ideas into products, there is seldom a dull routine moment.
• Intellectual curiosity, propensity for original thought, and obsessive attention to detail
• Programming experience working on complex development projects in a collaborative environment at a software or technology- related company
• Familiarity with numerical routines (e.g. in C++), statistical tools (e.g. R), and scripting languages (e.g. Python), and a highly disciplined approach to coding
• A logical and thoughtful communication style
Nice to haves:
• Working knowledge of mathematics, statistics, and probability theory
• Experience working in financial markets
The quantitative developer position is full-time and based in midtown Manhattan. Starting salary will range between USD 100k ~ 125k and equity participation may be considered depending on experience and fit. We also offer summer internships to exceptional students. Above all, we value enthusiasm for the subject matter and a love of learning. So if you like the idea of working in a lean and high-caliber environment on projects that will be used by some of the world's largest financial institutions, we'd love to hear from you.