Applied Academics is a lean and growing team of researchers, technologists, and business teams in New York, Tokyo, and London. We are leaders in predicting the performance of investment managers to help socially important institutional investors protect the financial future of their beneficiaries. We are currently hiring engineers for our New York office to support our rapidly expanding client base, which includes major institutional investors, investment managers, derivatives exchanges, and index companies around the world. Applied Academics is wholly-owned by members of the firm.
We are looking for a talented developer who is a technology enthusiast to help design and build the next generation of Goose, our performance prediction platform. Goose is built with the latest technology and empowers our clients to adopt the paradigm shift that our scientific breakthroughs are causing in the way investors allocate billions of dollars to managers. You will work closely with our exceptionally creative research team to solve challenging computational problems posed by our rigorous statistical methodologies. You will also work closely with our Chief Technology Officer to help build and maintain a robust, reliable, and scalable infrastructure.
• An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit that inspires others
• Intellectual curiosity, propensity for original thought, and attention to detail
• A logical and thoughtful communication style
• A diverse background working with different programming languages and tools,driven by an ability and eagerness to learn and adapt to new technologies
• At least 5 years of experience building enterprise software
• Experience programming in C++, Python, SQL, and shell scripting
• Experience working with financial markets data
• Experience writing performance-critical code
• Background in building efficient and secure client-facing programs
• Experience in Linux shell and using cloud computing environments like AWS or Azure
• Working knowledge of mathematics, statistics, probability theory, and finance
This position is for a full-time role and is based in midtown Manhattan near Bryant Park. Starting salary will be in a competitive range based on candidate fit and experience, and equity participation may be considered. Above all, we value enthusiasm for the subject matter and a love of learning. So if you like the idea of working in an open, multi-cultural, and multi-talented environment on projects that impact some of the world's most important financial institutions, we'd love to hear from you.